Starterkit: Line-Drawing

Line-Drawing Game Starterkit

Site License! Unlimited Apps!

Royalty Free! No Attribution!

60 day money-back guarantee!

Made with the popular cocos2d-iphone game engine.
Compatible with cocos2d-iphone v1.1 and v2.0, Xcode 4.6 and iOS 6.
Includes ARC enabled versions of the starterkit!

Sale – only $49 !

All Starterkit project artwork provided by Arezou Ipakchi Design. Promotional images created by Justin from CartoonSmart.

What it is:

Get a head-start for your Line-Drawing game and save days if not weeks of your time! You’ll get gameplay code modelled after the extremely popular Flight Control game. You’ll learn how to draw lines, detect touches on objects, have objects follow a path – and much, much more! Written by a professional game developer and game industry veteran (me) the source code is annotated with lots of comments explaining my rationale and written with readability in mind.

Contains separate iPhone & iPad targets!

The Starterkit includes targets for iPhone and iPad using the same code if you don’t want to create a Universal app, for example to reduce your app’s size or to be able to charge more for the iPad version. If the iPad Target is selected hi-res iPad images will be used. Image selection is done automatically by loading those images whose filenames have the “-ipad” suffix, the same suffix cocos2d uses.

What others are saying:

“Code is quite clearly written and decently documented […] definitely a fine investment.”
From: Commercial cocos2d Code review from Alex Curylo.

“It was an awesome moment when I found the source for a line draw game of this caliber.”
-Franklin Lyons, SpinFall

“Especially the path and movement system is saving me lots of headaches.”
-Martin Hoffmann

Games made with this Starterkit:

Launch Control

Ferries HD

Feature List:

• cleanly seperated and well-structured GameScene code design with a minimum of dependencies
  • easy to add new objects and extend object parameters
  • touch object & draw a path for it (whether it’s already following a path or not)
  • path drawing ends when path is drawn over appropriate target location (eg airstrip for airplanes, respecting angle of approach)
  • path drawing ends when arbitrary point limit is exceeded (to avoid slowdowns)
  • path is drawn when dragged with thick transparent line style like Harbor Master, without glitches
  • path is split into equal length pieces no matter how quickly user moves finger
  • objects spawn outside screen, locations can be re-defined and extended
  • objects display incoming warning marker at screen border
  • objects display collision warning when any two of them are getting too close
  • objects follow path to end – then fade out and increase score or continue moving
  • objects always rotate in movement direction
  • objects bounce back at screen borders
  • motivational Labels for successful landings, precached
  • Score and HighScore Labels
  • HighScore saved to disk between play sessions
  • supports both Landscape orientations with autorotation
  • loads correct resource files depending on Target (iPhone or iPad)
  • proper Pause handling for incoming calls, SMS
  • many generally useful Math Helper functions included
  • lots of comments explaining rationale and giving tips for improvement
  • assertive coding style to help catch coding errors early on
  • offline and online documentation
  • you can choose between using cocos2d-iphone v1.1 and v2.0
  • you can choose between using ARC or classic manual reference counting
  • compatible with iOS 5.0 and newer, including iOS 6
  • compatible with Xcode 4.6 (the most recent versions also work)
  • easy setup: just unzip, open Xcode project, select build scheme, build and run

Questions? Need Help?

Just send me an email.

Legal Disclaimer

Cocos2D is a registered trademark of Ricardo Quesada. Steffen Itterheim, the Learn & Master Cocos2D website and the Line-Drawing Game Starterkit are neither affiliated with nor endorsed by Zynga or Ricardo Quesada.

Try Before Buy!

Demo App for iPhone
Demo App for iPad

Browse the API Documentation

View a Code Sample

Buy Now!

Site License! Unlimited Apps!

Royalty Free! No Attribution!

60 day money-back guarantee!

Made with the popular cocos2d-iphone game engine.
Compatible with cocos2d-iphone v1.1 and v2.0, Xcode 4.6 and iOS 6.
Includes ARC enabled versions of the starterkit!

Sale – only $49 !

License Agreement

Copyright

Purchase grants you the License to use and modify the source code and assets under the following Terms and Conditions:

You are not allowed to make the source code publicly available. You are not allowed to give or sell the source code to others, modified or not. Licenses are not transferable.

All Licenses are royalty free. You can make as many free or commercial Apps using the source code as you want. You may re-use any existing assets in your App.

If you do contract work and have or want to give the Starterkit source code to your client, your client needs to purchase a Site License as well.

Site License

Each purchase grants you a Site License. The Site license grants you the use of the Starterkit without restrictions at one site.

A site is an office, building or living space rented or owned by the company or individual making the purchase. It allows anyone working on site to use and modify the Starterkit source code.

Large companies operating at several sites need to purchase a site license for each individual location if the Starterkit is to be used at multiple locations. Contact me if you’re such a corporation and you prefer a flat fee license with your own license text to go along with it.

Support

Updates to the Starterkit are done on an as needed basis. I will also keep it up to date and running with the latest stable releases of cocos2d. Updates are distributed via a download link sent to the email address you used for your order. If your email address ever changes please contact me, ideally you should forward me your order confirmation in that case to speed up the change.

Source Code not covered by this License

The licensed Source Code project contains files which are available for free and are governed by different licenses. The Terms & Conditions outlined here do not apply to source code files which do not contain the Copyright notice “Copyright (year) Steffen Itterheim. All rights reserved.”.

Disclaimer

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Questions? Contact me!

If you have any questions or if you require specific License texts before making a purchase, please contact me.

94 Responses to “Starterkit: Line-Drawing”

1. Lawrence says:

Can we use the existing project and revise it to build a new game. Or must we start a new (empty template) project and rewrite the code. I don’t mind rewriting, I just want to know. I tried to replace some images but the project compiles with errors. Especially the MainMenu class.

2. franz says:

just purchased the Kit…its like buying the book, but more exciting…Steffen where did You learn to code in such a “clean” way…I am shocked about my style….

3. Amar says:

Hi Steffen.

I’m novice regarding Cocos2D and I’m learning it now from your book which I bought when it was alpha version and while searching the web I have found this kit.

I have few questions regarding kit and classes in it:
    – I need to draw lines that are going to be represented as objects on the screen, so they are going to stay on the screen. Is that possible with this kit and Path classes?
    – Is it hard to implement collision detection on lines/paths with this kit? For example if user draw line over the another one that already exists on the screen line should be invalid and deleted with invalid move message?

Thanks for answers
    Kind regards
    Amar

4. Hello, good afternoon.
    There is a possibility to be creating pre-defined paths to the object then?

5. Uwe says:

Hi, is it also possible to draw a path between objects and both are moving on the path until they collide?

• Sure, but one object would have to traverse the Path backwards which would require additional code (should be trivial). Or make a copy of the Path and reverse the path points in the list, might be even easier.

6. Uwe says:

Will there be a Christmas-promo? 😉

7. Uwe says:

Hi, I bought it and I’m quite impressed about the clean code and having a complete game. Since my goal is not to create a clone of the kit-game I would like to see some simple examples. Esp. an example showing how to move some animated sprites (create from plist using TexturePacker) and create a path.

I do not understand how I can add an animated sprite like base on
    [[CCSpriteFrameCache sharedSpriteFrameCache] addSpriteFramesWithFile:@”rolling.plist”];
    rollingSanta = [CCSprite spriteWithSpriteFrameName:@”rollingSanta0001.png”];

Thanks, Uwe

8. ricky stone says:

i just purched your line drawing game code, i will look at :)
    cheer that is’ half of value..

9. Thanks and happy New Year here.

10. Uwe says:

Hi, in the source I found this remark in MovingObject.m:

// stopAllActions seems to be the only thing that can stop a sequence from calling the callfunc it contains
    // the downside is that moving objects can’t run any other actions while following a path

Does this mean that a MovingObject cannot be an animated sprite but only one static frame?

Thanks,
    Uwe

• I believe this cocos2d bug has been fixed, so stopping the action by tag should work. Reminds me to test this again. Either way you can still animate the object by getting the animation action before stopping all actions, then re-running the animation object after stopping so that the animation continues.

11. Uwe says:

Thanks! Will there be more examples then based on your classes? I think of simple things like putting one CCSprite on the screen and move it using a path.

Not a complex and complete game-source.

Best,
    Uwe

• No it’s just the entire game but the individual parts are fairly easy to extract. There’s a path class that holds all the path points and then each object has two methods which control moving along the path, and rotating in the direction of the path.

12. adam says:

This may have been asked, and I apologize if it has been asked. Can these lines easily be added to Box2D to create physics. For example, if a line is drawn and another object type is headed for that line, can there be physics set up on that line so the object bounces off as if it hit a wall?

• Each line is an array of points. As long as Box2D supports adding lines as collidable objects it should work. At worst you may have to turn each line segment into a tiny box.

13. […] Bob Ueland * Space Game starter kit from Ray Wenderlich * iPhoneGame Kit by Nat Weiss * iUridium * Line-Drawing game by Steffen […]

14. Luke says:

Hey steffen

I’m considering buying you line drawing starter kit, but would like to first find out something from you.

I’m currently in the process of building a toddlers interactive app for the iPad. My skills are so so, in the context of I can create pages, make them transition and do plist animation when clicked. Now I would like to had a final thing to my project… I want to make my pages to be able to color them in.
    So basically if look all over the web and taken different parts from different samples to build my book. My understanding is so so. The examples of the draw functions are somehow to complicated to get on the Internet as a direct download or project that I can understand.

Will this tutorial benefit me in any way?

Thanks for your im

Kind regards
    Luke

Sent from my iPhone

• It’s not a tutorial, it’s a starterkit (code + assets + reference documentation). I can’t tell you if you would benefit from it, I would think so but I don’t know what you’re looking for and what a skill level of “so so” implies. :)

My suggestion is that you buy it and if you don’t find it beneficial just issue a refund.